Directorate Of Municipalities, Gandhinagar, Gujarat
Director of Municipalities was established at Dt. 01/06/1965 in Ahmedabad. On Sep,
1990 under Gujarat Municipality Act 1963 office of Regional Director was established
Administrative, Supervision and Controlling Authority:-
- Establishment expenditure.
- Approval of rules under section 271 and section 275
- Supervision of Municipalities activities
- Vigilance and inquiry for Municipalities misconduct and misbehavior
- Monitoring of special drives declared by the state government.
Classification of Municipalities :-
Municipalities of Gujarat state are classified into 4 categories on the basis of
population. As per the Census 2001, total 159 Municipalities are there in Gujarat
state at present.
|| Total Muncipalities
|| More than 1 Lac
|| 50,000 to 1,00,000
|| 25,000 to 50,000
|| 15,000 to 25,000
Quasi Judicial Work:-
- Section 37 : Authority to Remove Councilor, President & Vice-president
if he has been guilty of misconduct in the discharge of duties or of any disgraceful
conduct or has become incapable of performing his duties.
- Section 70 : Authority to recover the economical loss personally
from Councilor, President & Vice-president if he has been guilty of misuse of finance.
- Section 258 (3) : Appellant Authority against Order of Collector
- Section 38 (4) : Appellant Authority against Order of Collector.
- Section 40 : Authority to remove President & Vice-president